Thursday, June 18, 2009

First Post

Hello world. I've created this blog to force me to put some thoughts or realizations into a form that is actually usable and helpful to other people, and doesn't just roll around in my head as something I thought was neat. I am not quite sure what all will end up here, or how long this blog will even persist, but I was spurred on to it by some exciting realizations a group of us had at a community group Bible study a while back, where several people said "you should write that down and email it out or something."

I'm not so worried about how many people read this blog, but am using it more as a tool to force me to think things through because I realize now other people might read them and they need to make sense.

Oh, and if you are curious, the name comes from a concept in learned in my ChemE undergrad days that stuck with me (my inner nerd leaking out). It is called the boundary layer theory, and is normally just a boring old way at solving fluid dynamics or mass transfer problems, but is a really cool idea. Basically the boundary layer is a line, plane, or surface which marks the end of somethings practical effect. Say you thrust your hand into a fast moving stream of water. The boundary layer would be where the water is going around 99% of its original speed; it is not practically affected by your hand. Or drop a pill in the water, a boundary layer at any second may be where less than 1% of that pill has dissolved and diffused into the water--the water is practically untouched by the pill.

So anyway, how does this apply to a blog? Very loosely because it is my blog, yo. But the point at which my thoughts and realizations have no practical effect I will call their boundary layer. And the hope is with this blog to push that boundary layer out a bit farther, through people reading it or through better articulated thoughts, because Jesus call us to be a light to this world and salt to this earth--not just to my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment